Translator

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Heat stroke is one hell of a bitch... It was only 86F today (30C) but the A/C was broke at work, so we had the doors open to let in some cooler-than-inside-the-building air, but the oven was pumping out 450F (232C) and it was just too much. Basically my day was shit. I'll just be honest.

I slept through my alarm, and woke up at 10:07a when I was due in at 10a. Got to work and had 2 runs waiting for me. Both involved stairs, and it's hot as hell out, so I'm drenched by the time I get done with the second run. Luckily Mitch wasn't mad at me, he understood my being late since I didn't get out of work until 2a last night. But when I got back, I started finding things to do while we waited for another order to come through. Finally around an hour later his boss calls him on his cell and lets him know the reason we haven't gotten any orders is because the lines and internet are both down, so even if someone places an order online the order can't get to us since the net isn't even sending orders to us.

So around then, Vanessa shows up and she's helping me post boxes to pass the time because our truck is actually due in today with it being Tuesday. By the time our new girl, Kiki (no she doesn't have a delivery service but it is funny that she's a driver), shows up the lines are still down. Why? Turns out AT&T accidentally cut our lines when they were installing the new lines for the community that's being built behind our building. So now they're going in and out of the store trying to see if they can get us back up and running.

The whole time we're waiting on orders, I'm going around the store, finding things to do, including things Mitch happens to point out for "somebody" to do when he notices them. Kiki and Vanessa are just standing around so Mitch sends them both home with the warning of "if I need you I'll be calling you back". So it's back to me, working, finding anything I can do, which the list is getting smaller, and smaller, and you get the point. Finally the phones come back on and calls start pouring in so Mitch takes a moment to call those two back and while he's making pizzas I'm handling calls, and learning how to put labels on the boxes WHILE being on the phone calls. I would like to say I did damn good at that ^_^. So by the time they get back, I have orders I can finally run out and so I book it.

I take a few runs before our little pop dies down and it goes back to being dead. By the way, by now, I'm shaking from heat stroke. Mitch decided to send me home when he found me standing under the fans in the 40F (4C) cooler, sweating. I was sweating in 40F (4C). He decided that was it and sent me home. While he was getting me checked out so I could leave, Kiki pipes up, whining, "Why does she get to go home?"

I could have hugged Mitch for his response. "Because while you two were jawing off in the lobby, she was walking around finding things to do when you were saying there was nothing to do. Everything she was doing, you could have been doing too. She deserves to go home." The look of befuddlement on her chipmunk face was well worth getting heat stroke today.

Good news is though, Mary can hang out again, so me and Nojuan are paying her a visit now that I'm feeling better. Although I do need to wrap this up since I have to go check on laundry.

Signing off,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment