Translator

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

You know, sometimes I get an unexpected reality check about the oddest of things. This morning, on my way in to work to open the store, we passed this house. It's run down, needs to be torn down, but recently someone put some graffiti on it. I see it, and I'm just looking at it like, "Well that's a shame."

But to my left, in the driver's seat, the guy I get my rides from, Gary, pops out with a prize line. "They need to tear that place down." Well yeah.... "Damn Mexicans spray painted all over the damn place." Wait....what? o.0?

Where the hell did that come from? It doesn't stop there. He goes on a small tangent about the Mexicans spray painting, only doing it in Spanish, and you can't understand it if you're American. The whole time I'm so caught off guard by what I'm hearing that I just don't know what to say... I manage to chime in that it could just be some kids, but he directs it back to not understanding what the Mexicans are trying to tell people with the spray painting.

"Are they telling rival gangs something?" ---- How did that used to be the norm? I think the better question is, why is this kind of ignorance still around?

My grandfather would be older than Gary if he were still alive, and HE raised me with a completely opposite view of the world. So why is someone from a younger generation displaying this ignorance? I just don't get it...

Anyway, we're close to work now so I have to go.

Signing off,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment