Translator

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Okay, so one of the things I was supposed to do today was go get some food for the place, and to do this, I had to get a ride from Gary. And everything was fine until we had to go through downtown Kennesaw, to avoid the parking lot that was Cobb Pkwy, and in downtown Kennesaw, there is a semi-famous building, seen below.


If you look in the top/middle of the picture, you'll see a flag pole, but the flag is cut out; it's a black flag.

First off, to see for yourself, go to Google Maps and look up the address: 2879 S Main St, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Go to street view and take a look. If you went, welcome back. If you didn't go, then let's continue.

Anywho, when we started going through downtown Kennesaw, Gary started talking about a business that's been in trouble with the county before about being told to clean the property up and get rid of all of the "Redneck" and "racist" material or face trouble. I'm thinking to myself, "I used to make deliveries all up and down this road, what place could be that bad to cause a problem?" As we come around the curve of the road, there is is.

Dent Meyers Civil War Surplus and Herb Shop.... You can find an article about it here. The writer is a bit -eh- but the article gets the point across about the guy. And Gary is wrong.

While we're driving by, Gary points out the black flag and says, "It's a sign that they don't want black people in there." Until today I had never even noticed the flag, because who really looks at a building just to look at their flags? But when Gary says this, all I can do is wonder if the owner knows this, if it's true, and a whole bunch of other things, so I decided I would look that up when I got home.  During this time Gary starts talking again about all the Confederate "junk" and "clutter" all over the place, saying it should be cleaned up and taken down. The thing is, though, as soon as I saw what building he was talking about, I realized that I've been in that building. It's basically a freaking museum dedicated to our history. Yes, some of the stuff is racist, but then again, in our history, the South has always been the more racist part of the country when it boils down to North or South. There are bound to be racist things in there.

Not only that, but the Confederate memorabilia, not junk, that is posted outside is done in a very tasteful manner to properly display the piece. It's not cluttered about, or just....UGH, it frustrated me to hear such ignorance. This made me just want to look into what the black flag meant, because if he had these wrong notions about the store, what else was he wrong about? So I did.

It's better to read the article above before reading the article to the right. ---->This is the truth about the black flag.<---- Part of me wants to tell Gary the truth, because no one should walk around being that ill-informed. But the other part of me thinks he would stand to listen to anything I have to say in the matter. He was too damned determined sounding when he was speaking. You know that tone, the one that says the person with it won't listen to anything you have to say.

On a lighter note, I don't know if any of my fellow Cumbercookies read this blog or not, but you should watch the videos below and smile as much as I do when I watch them.



God, that wink at the end... Damn bastard.


Hope you all enjoyed the videos as much as I did. Well, thanks for giving me someone to rant to, I definitely needed it. That rant had been building up all day long and it just had to come out. Until next time folks!

Signing off,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment